Sunday 14 September 2008

Boys' weekend to the Lakes

Just spent Friday, Saturday and part of today in the Lakes with my mates Mark, Martin, Dave and newboy Steve.

Got there Friday lunchtime with Mart and Steve. Checked in at hotel (http://www.crowpark.co.uk/ we all recommend this - reasonable price, decent rooms and good breakfast) and after a pub lunch and then a coffee at the coffeshop we managed to convince ourselves that we should still do a warm up walk in the afternoon! (We did waiver for a while and I thought the coffee was going to be the end of it but we managed to get out there!)

Nice little stroll down a local valley - 3 hours in all and then back to wash and meet up with Dave and Mark. Dinner at pub and a few bevvies (but not too many cos we knew Saturday was the "biggie").

Saturday morning headed for Ennerdale with Dave revved up to take us up mountain, down dale, up mountain again and then who knew where!

Sadly, half way up the first mountain it went misty and rainy and all we could see was each other. Dave guided us across the ridges until we got to the point overlooking the end of Ennerdale valley. Lunch was much welcome.

I found that my knees were shot particularly going down hill. Had serious worries that they might just stop so I decided to take the easy way back along the valley path - Steve also had a prick in his knee (phnarr, phnarr!) and decided to keep me company. I had to keep walking without stopping cos when I did my knees seriously seized up. The signposts were most useful in telling us it was a mere 6 miles back to the car park - two hours minimum and the ibuprofen was wearing off!!!


Mart, Dave and Mark went up the other side of the valley and to cut a long story short had a few issues with their positioning and took a lot (I mean a lot) longer to finish than anticipated. Finally got them off the mountain at 8:45pm in the dark. Needless to say there were some aching legs. Mind you the curry later tasted great!
Had a lazy day today (a lot to do with my legs not really wanting to take me anywhere! Typical really when the weather was fabulous today! Not too worry, did a bit bit of "gear" shopping in Keswick, had decent coffee and then came back home - big struggle to stay awake in the car (no I wasn't driving).

Lots of pictures at the link below:

2 comments:

Polly said...

Good photos - nice scenery - peaceful-harmonious!

Polly said...

Good photos - nice scenery - peaceful-harmonious!